The 7 Best Electric Fireplaces to Keep You Warm All Winter
By Corrie Pelc
There's nothing quite like snuggling up in front of a fireplace in the fall and winter. But what if you don't have a fireplace? Or you don’t really have the desire to use or worry about a traditional wood or gas fireplace in your home?
This is where an electric fireplace comes in. Basically an electric heater built to look like a traditional fireplace, today's electric fireplaces come at a variety of price points and styles. The “flame” of an electric fireplace is created by lights — usually LEDs — that are made to look like fires through the use of mirrors and other technologies. Many are energy-efficient and provide warmth without needing to worry about smoke, ash, or flames. So, since there is no smoke, they do not require a chimney or vent, making them a whole lot safer for everyone in the household.
What is the best electric fireplace, you may ask? We're here to help with our list of the top electric fireplaces you can buy right now.
Best Wall-Mounted Electric Fireplace Insert: R.W.FLAME Recessed and Wall Mounted Electric FireplaceA modern, streamlined electric fireplace insert for mounting in or on a wall.
Best Electric Fireplace Insert for an Existing Fireplace: PuraFlame Electric Fireplace InsertAn electric fireplace insert that provides the look and feel of a traditional fireplace—minus the flames and smoke.
Best Mantel Electric Fireplace: Ameriwood Home Lamont Mantel FireplaceAn electric fireplace surrounded by a decorative mantel and three-tier bookcases to add instant decor to any room missing a fireplace.
Best Portable Electric Fireplace: Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace StoveA portable electric fireplace stove with hyper-realistic flames and enough heat to warm up a 1,000 square-foot room.
Best Media Console Electric Fireplace: Ameriwood Home Farmington Electric Fireplace ConsoleA combo media console and electric fireplace for the ultimate TV-watching experience.
Best Budget Electric Fireplace: TURBRO Suburbs TS17 Compact Electric Fireplace StoveA portable freestanding electric fireplace stove for under $100.
Most Realistic Electric Fireplace: MagikFlame Trinity Holographic Electric FireplaceA free-standing mantel electric fireplace that uses holographic technology for extremely realistic “flames.”
How to Buy an Electric Fireplace
What should you consider when purchasing an electric fireplace? Here are some things to think about:
- Type of Insert: Today's electric fireplaces come in a variety of different styles. Some can be inserted into an existing fireplace, while others can be mounted onto the wall to save floor space. Some are free-standing, which means you put them anywhere you have an electric outlet to plug them in. Nowadays you can even find entertainment centers and media consoles with built-in electric fireplaces.
- Heat Output: If the point of your new electric fireplace is to help heat a room, you need to make sure it emits enough heat to do so. The larger a room is, the harder it is to heat. Also keep in mind anything potentially drafty like windows, doors, and high ceilings will make a room harder to heat. The amount of heat emitted from an electric fireplace is measured in BTU ( British Thermal Units). Most electric fireplaces average between 4,500 to 5,000 BTUs, which is enough to heat up an approximately 400 to 450 square foot room (for reference, a standard living room is around 340 square feet).
- Firebox Type: The firebox is where the "flames" of the electric fireplace live. Fireboxes in electric fireplaces come in a variety of styles, from ones that look like a traditional stack of wood that the faux flames dance over to more modern ones where the flames sit on a bed of crystal or glass stones.
Test Factors We Considered When Picking the Best Electric Fireplaces
We did the research so you don’t have to; here’s a rundown of the test factors we used when compiling the best electric fireplaces:
- Price: How does this electric fireplace fit into the user’s budget?
- Type: What type of electric fireplace is this — Insert? Free-standing? Built into a media console?
- Size: What are the dimensions of the electric fireplace? This is important in determining how it’ll fit into a space.
- Heat Output: How much heat does this electric fireplace emit?
- Heat Settings: How many heat settings does the electric fireplace have?
- Flame Options: Does this electric fireplace allow the user to control the color, speed, and/or brightness of the flames?
- Control: How is the electric fireplace controlled — does it come with a remote control?
- Power Cord Length: Knowing the power cord length is important for figuring out how close the electric socket needs to be.
- Safety Features: Does this electric fireplace come with safety features such as a timer, automatic shutoff if it overheats, or a surface that stays cool to the touch?
- Warranty: Does the manufacturer claim the product will last for a few seasons?
Now, let’s take a look at our list of the best electric fireplaces for 2022.
Best Wall-Mounted Electric Fireplace Insert: R.W.FLAME Recessed and Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace
With almost 4,250 ratings and 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon, there's no guess as to why the R.W.FLAME Recessed and Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace is on our best electric fireplace list. Available in six widths from 30 to 60 inches, all models are under four inches deep, allowing them to lie almost flush to the wall as an insert and very close to the wall if wall-mounted. The insert features two heating modes that can comfortably heat a room of up to 400 square feet. Use the touchpad or remote control to cycle through five flame speeds, five flame brightnesses, and 12 different flame colors. And the R.W.FLAME Recessed and Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace has a built-in automatic kill switch to ensure that the insert does not overheat.
- Insert into a recessed wall spot or mount on the wall
- Select from five flame speeds, five flame brightnesses, and 12 flame colors
- Available in six widths
- Power cord is only about six feet long
Best Electric Fireplace Insert for an Existing Fireplace: PuraFlame Electric Fireplace Insert
If you'd like to update your traditional fireplace with an electric one, then the PuraFlame Electric Fireplace Insert is worth a look. Available in four sizes, this electric fireplace insert keeps the traditional look of a log fireplace but replaces it with a completely vent-free, flame-free system. The "flames" of this insert are created by LED lights — choose from three flame settings with different brightnesses depending on your mood. The faux flames dance above realistic resin-made logs that sit on a grate and ember bed, looking like a real fire. You can even choose from six different "crackling" sounds! And the three inside walls of the PuraFlame Electric Fireplace Insert are even designed to look like brick, adding to the realism of this faux fireplace.
- Updates an existing traditional fireplace with an electric version
- LED light “flames” have three settings
- Imitation flames dance above realistic resin-made logs that sit on a grate and ember bed
- Chimney should be blocked if used as an insert in a traditional fireplace
- No safety options listed
Best Mantel Electric Fireplace: Ameriwood Home Lamont Mantel Fireplace
If you want the full-on look of a fireplace, the Ameriwood Home Lamont Mantel Fireplace is a great option. This mantel fireplace features a center section with a 26-inch wide electric fireplace and decorative mantel, flanked on either side by a set of three bookshelves. The entire structure is made from laminated multi-density fibreboard and particleboard (an engineered wood) and is available in either black or white finishes. The electric fireplace is controlled by either a touchpad or remote control and its flames are created by LED lights with up to 50,000 hours of life that can be adjusted to three brightness levels. Lastly, the electric fireplace in the Ameriwood Home Lamont Mantel Fireplace has an adjustable temperature control where you can adjust the temperature between 64 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit in two-degree increments.
- Electric fireplace equipped with decorative mantel and three-tier bookshelves
- Auto temperature control can be set to temperatures 64 to 82 degrees F
- “Flames” created by long-lasting LEDs with three brightness levels
- Need to have space for entire mantel construction
- Mantel is not designed for use with a TV
Best Portable Electric Fireplace: Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove
Available in a variety of sizes and colors, the Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove is our top pick for the best portable electric fireplace. This electric fireplace is completely contained in a metal housing with four legs, allowing it to stand wherever you need it and can plug it in. The "flames" of this electric fireplace use 3D rendering to make them highly realistic, and you can adjust the brightness of the flames through five different settings. This electric fireplace stove can even be used with or without heat — so if you want just flames for the aesthetic and no heat, that's possible. Lastly, the Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove emits enough heat to warm up a room of up to 1,000 square feet.
- Portable electric fireplace stove can be used in any room of the home
- Various sizes and colors available
- Can warm a room up to 1,000 square feet
- Cannot be inserted into the wall or a traditional fireplace
Best Media Console Electric Fireplace: Ameriwood Home Farmington Electric Fireplace Console
Add some ambiance to your next Netflix binge session with the Ameriwood Home Farmington Electric Fireplace Console. This rustic-inspired media console can handle televisions up to 60 inches wide and features a built-in 23-inch electric fireplace. Long-lasting LED lights create the "flames" in this insert that are controlled through the touch panel or remote control. Cycle through three flame settings, including a setting for flames with no heat. The media console itself is made from laminated multi-density fibreboard and particleboard and comes in four finishes — black oak, ivory pine, natural, and rustic. And the Ameriwood Home Farmington Electric Fireplace Console also features two side cabinets for extra storage.
- Combination media console and electric fireplace
- Available in four finishes
- Long-lasting LED lights provide the “flames” with three settings
- Media console design may not work for all homes
Best Budget Electric Fireplace: TURBRO Suburbs TS17 Compact Electric Fireplace Stove
Looking for an electric fireplace that won’t bust your budget? The TURBRO Suburbs TS17 Compact Electric Fireplace Stove has almost 1,900 reviews on Amazon and 4.5 out of 5 stars and will set you back less than $100. This freestanding, portable fireplace stove features a realistic flame effect that is turned on and off through a switch on the device. Weighing only 13 pounds, the stove can be moved to any room you need to add some warmth to. The fireplace's temperature is easily adjusted through a knob on the stove and it not only has an automatic shut-off to keep it from overheating, but its surface stays cool to the touch when the heater is on for extra safety.
- Less than $100
- Weighs only 13 pounds, making it very portable
- Surface stays cool to the touch even when heat is on
- Does not include a remote control
- Only one flame setting
Most Realistic Electric Fireplace: MagikFlame Trinity Holographic Electric Fireplace
If money is no object and you want to fake your next houseguests into thinking you installed a real fireplace in your home, then check out the MagikFlame Trinity Holographic Electric Fireplace. This free-standing electric fireplace is placed inside an elegantly styled mantel with hardwood crown molding. The flames are created through the same holographic technology used in theme park attractions and you can cycle through 30 different flame settings to literally create a new look for your fireplace every day. There are also 26 authentic "log sounds" to choose from, so you never have to miss out on the crackling fire audible experience. The MagikFlame Trinity Holographic Electric Fireplace delivers enough heat to warm a room up to 1,000 square feet and is controlled through the included touchscreen or an app on your phone.
- About as realistic as it gets when it comes to electric fireplaces
- Choose from 30 different flame settings and 26 authentic log sounds
- Controlled through touchscreen or smartphone app
- Mantel may not work in every room
Do you have an electric fireplace that warms your heart? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?